Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I file a lawsuit?

A: You may find you have several options when filing your case. A deputy clerk is not permitted to advise you on which option you should select. If you need assistance with proceeding or completing forms, you may want to seek the services of an attorney by contacting the Louisville Bar Association or the Legal Aid Society.

Q: What if I need to file a pleading or lawsuit and your office is closed?

A: Pleadings can be filed 24 hours a day. Pleadings filed after 4:30 p.m. but before 8:30 a.m. can be filed at the circuit file box located in the Criminal Traffic Division, first floor, Louis D. Brandeis Hall of Justice, 600 W. Jefferson St. Lawsuits meeting statutory deadlines may be processed by a deputy clerk in the Criminal Traffic Division. Filing fees must be paid at that time.

Q: How do I have a judge sign an order showing clear title to my vehicle?

A: You should contact an attorney to obtain instructions on how to proceed. Deputy clerks are prohibited from giving legal advice.