Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is an EPO?

A: An emergency protective order is an ex parte order issued by the reviewing circuit judge, district judge or trial commissioner.

Q: Where can petitioner file an EPO?

A: An EPO request may be filed 24 hours day, seven days a week at the Domestic Violence Intake Center on the first floor of the Louis D. Brandeis Hall of Justice, 600 W. Jefferson St. Criminal warrants are also taken at this location.

Q: What happens if the petitioner wants to change the EPO/DVO?

A: Only a judge can change the court order(s). Should the petitioner wish to amend the order(s), a motion will need to be filed in the office of the Family Court Division.

Q: Is there a fee to file an EPO?

A: There is no fee to file a complaint.

Q: Who is eligible to file an EPO?

A: Per Kentucky law (KRS 403.715 to 403.785):

(1) “Domestic violence and abuse” means physical injury, serious physical injury, sexual abuse, assault, or the infliction of fear of imminent physical injury, serious injury, sexual abuse, or assault between family members or members of an unmarried couple;

(2) “Family member” means a spouse including a former spouse, a grandparent, a parent of a child, a stepchild, or any other person living in the same household as a child if child is alleged victim; and

(3) “Member of an unmarried couple” means each member of an unmarried couple which allegedly has a child in common, any children of that couple, or member of an unmarried couple who are living together or have formerly lived together.