Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I can’t afford an attorney, how can I get a public defender?

A: If you meet the financial qualifications, the judge may appoint an assistant public defender to represent you. All appointments are done by the judge during court proceedings. You may file a motion to request the appointment of an assistant public defender and the judge will make that ruling at the next court date.